Friday, May 24, 2013

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them


"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them." Mark Twain

I have been tagged by Negar recently to talk about 5 books meant most for me. It is pretty tough question for me as I really don't have much of a memory specially when it comes to books and movies...



That's why when I saw Negar talking about Revolt in the kindergarten, it just threw me to 18 years back when I was a kid and that book had a great impact on me. If Negar hadn't written about this book, I wouldn't have remembered it for sure. Thanks Negar for that.
Now when I look back at this book, I can see it is too big of a story for a child, it raises the political awareness of a kid by an unsual story; a revolt is happening in a kindergarten by kids against their guardians who controlled them in any single aspects of their lives. Kids using very simple tools and the little power they have take the kindergarten in their hands and ask for more freedom!



The Little Black Fish was another great book I enjoyed in my childhood. It had everlasting effects on me, I still sometimes think of that little red fish who couldn't get to sleep after she heard grandmother's tale. Samad, as I believe he has affected hearts and thoughts of many among our generation.



The Alchemist is another book means a lot for me, it inspired me to further focus on my goals and just keep pushing forward, not to get disappointed by any undesired winds. It doesn't matter if omens are real or not, who cares if the whole universe is working for me to get to my goals or not, the fact is I'll get'em! period. hmm now I see some sort of "The little black fish" attitude in myself! Frankly, I have had this little philosophy in my life that whenever I am nervous or worried about some difficult or challenging position in near future, not only I don't (shouldn't ) escape back but also I run forward for it. I run into the challenge and embrace it, I even don't let myself to hesitate about facing it a moment. Reading Alchemist endorsed it in a way.



Thinking about the most meaningful books for me, I couldn't drop short story of Jonathan Livingston Seagull which I get to know by recommendation of one of my good friends, Ranga. Simply it inspires to live the life to its extents and get a good feeling of what life really means. "Living" or "being alive". Reading the book took me two hours as the story is short but deep, however thinking about it may accompany you for a life time.

well, let's see, I also like very much Surely You are joking, Mr. Feynman!. I can't say I have finished this book, but I enjoy reading it. About Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman (1918-88) , the reviews say: "Fiercely independent , intolerant of stupidity even when it comes packaged as high intellectualism, unafraid to offend, Feynman informs by entertaining."
and finally Da Vinci Code, Fountainhead, Atlas Shrugged and My name is Red are the books in my to-be-read stack. Considering that when it comes to non-academic books, I am a huge procrastinator, I guess I have enough books to read this summer.

Now, you Tag 5 people and ask them to do the same on their blogs.

I ask Ranga , Consideropsium, Lilone, ArianSisterhood , Progressively Treva, DearDiary and Cyberglobe to tell us about 5 books meant a lot for them.

No comments: